As I continue to explore the benefits of NASAL breathing, and its positive impact on CO2 tolerance, cardiac output, mood, and mental clarity. I’ve been coaching this short conditioning super-set as a “finisher” to my training sessions. Clients are LOVING it! And, it’s a great fit for your #athomeworkouts and/or #vacationworkouts as well.
Here’s how it works:
You’re going to be exposed to an “intense stimulus” (March/Skip In-Place) for 60 seconds followed immediately by holding an “isometric position” (Bear/Side-lying position) for 30 seconds. This is repeated every 2 minutes for 12 minutes.
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- Comfortable/clear space
- A block, small towel, or small ball
ALWAYS START HERE! Warm-up (https://youtu.be/QD8ZwYjfCI4)
Moving well means maintaining a “STACKED” position…your head, over your shoulders, over your hips. The challenge here is to keep your breath under control. Do your best NOT to allow the work to force you into “sloppy” breathing. Stay measured and focused.
Of course, STOP!…if something hurts or you don’t feel well at any point.
Here’s what you’re gonna do…
March/Skip In-Place: MOUTH EXHALE!
- Stand with ease. Feet hip width apart.
- Move in an opposite arm/leg pattern as demonstrated
- MOUTH EXHALE: like you’re blowing through a straw! (make some NOISE!)
Skip In-Place: executed same as above. If you’re looking for an EXTRA challenge!
Isometric HOLD: NASAL BREATH ONLY!
🤸♂️Loosey-Goosey body type: Bear Position (Knees/No Knees)
- All fours. Feet flexed. Knees under your hips. Hands under your shoulders.
- SUBTLE TUCK of your hips (gently pull back pockets towards your heels)
💥1 FULL MOUTH EXHALE: Gently push ground away with shoulder/arms (GET ABS!)
No Knees: executed same as above. If you’re looking for an EXTRA challenge!
🏋🏻Super-Tight body type: Side-lying Lift/Roll (Hips/No Hips)
- Lie on your side (alt side EACH round)
- Something between your knees (DON’T SQUEEZE!)
- Down shoulder, arm, and hand in one line. Look at down hand.
💥1 FULL MOUTH EXHALE: gently push ground away with downside upper body
No Hips: executed same as above. If you’re looking for an EXTRA challenge!
Let’s MOVE! Every 2 minutes for 12 minutes:
- 60 seconds: Standing In-Place March or for an extra challenge Skip
(NASAL INHALE/MOUTH EXHALE)
- 30 seconds: Loosey-Goosey (Bear position)/Super-Tight (Side-lying position)
(NASAL BREATHING ONLY!)
- 30 seconds: REST! (BREATHE any way you want)
💥Repeat every 2 minutes for 12 minutes (6 rounds!)
Cool-Down/Transition: Sit or lie down comfortably for 3-5 minutes and practice SLOW NASAL breathing mechanics.
- NASAL INHALE: 4 counts
- HOLD YOUR BREATH: 7 counts
- NASAL EXHALE: 8 counts
Let me know how you feel afterwards.
Dedicated to your health and longevity, Mike
P.S. Curious and want to see if my training style is a good fit for you? Email me for a Complimentary Assessment & 1 Free Orientation Session. No gimmicks, no pressure, just a discussion about you! I want to help you move better and feel stronger. CLICK HERE to learn more.
If you know someone who would benefit from this newsletter, please feel free to forward them this email. Let's help others start to feel better and get back to doing the things they love to do! To sign up for my newsletter, please click HERE.