Feeling a little “BLAH” after the long holiday weekend? Need a BOOST? Then this short routine is just for YOU!
It’s gonna improve your “STRETCHABILITY”…aka…loosen and coordinate all your major joints…and you’re gonna move and feel better afterward for it. You should feel loose, relaxed, and awake after this routine…AWARE of any place in your body that needs more attention…we all have them!
I also want to take this opportunity, to challenge you to pay attention to the different areas of your body and feel the muscles actually working.
Use it when you just need to get out of the doldrums and get moving…or as part of your warm-up…or as a daily primer to wake up…or even if as a quick way to relax at the end of your day.
There are basically two different “body types”. Both are completely NORMAL...we just need different things when it comes to selecting the best strategies to move and feel better based on our unique build.
Two Primary Types of Movers:
🤸 Loosey-Goosey: Joints are just SUPER LOOSE
🏋️ Super Tight: Just feel STIFF all over Once know your body type, now BREATHE like this:
🤸 Sighing exhale (fogging a glass)
🏋️ Pursed Lip exhale (blowing out birthday candles) Need: - Comfortable/Clear space - Something for your head/neck - Block - Beach/BathTowel (Rolled up)
“Mike! Where do I start?” Glad you asked:)…Here’s my suggestion:
1) Practice INHALING:
- Find the MOST COMFORTABLE position based on your “body type”:
- NASAL ONLY breathing! (MOUTH CLOSED!)
- LONG EXAGGERATED INHALE (NO NECK!)…then normal exhale out
- Pause (Breath normally). Wait for the next inhale to come.
- 4-6 breaths
2) LOOSEN and COORDINATE your body here (Loosey-Goosey or Super Tight):
Remember everybody’s different…do as much as you comfortably can…as long as it feels good:)
This is my range of motion right now…so don’t laugh! WATCH THIS 👇🏼
For time sake, I’m only demonstrating one side. Practice BOTH SIDES!
3) STRETCHABILITY Series
- SUBTLE TUCK of your hips (Pull back pockets towards heels)
- FULL MOUTH EXHALE (YOURS!) (GET ABS!)
- Fold over the front leg. Knee centered over the foot.
- Opposite hand on the block (Comfortably position block). Look at that hand.
EXHALE BIG KEYS:
- Gently push block away (NO NECK!)
- Drive INSTEP into the ground throughout (Knee stays CENTERED!)
HOLD this position and BREATH there: 3-5 breaths (in/outside of leg) x 1rd/side
World’s Greatest STRETCH:
-Standing Position: SUBTLE TUCK of your hips (Pull back pockets towards heels).
- Tall through your upper back/neck
- Hug one knee to the chest (INHALE) (DON’T ARCH LOWER BACK!)
- Lunge forward/down (FULL MOUTH EXHALE). Straight leg knee touches down.
- Place opposite hand down parallel to the front foot.
- Fold at hips. INHALE/REACH opposite arm (same side as front leg/palm up) under the down arm and overhead comfortably. Return to start.
- Place both hands in front of forward leg and on the FULL MOUTH EXHALE push hips up/back (Flex front foot)
- INHALE return to half kneeling position and come to stand as vertically as possible.
- Repeat opposite side. Alternate (2-4 reps/side) x 1 rd
I would like to thank Zac Cupples for the inspiration behind these two moves.
Let me know how you feel afterwards. Now go do what you do BEST…and enjoy it!
Dedicated to your health and longevity, Mike
P.S. Curious and want to see if my training style is a good fit for you? Email me for a Complimentary Assessment & 1 Free Orientation Session. No gimmicks, no pressure, just a discussion about you! I want to help you move better and feel stronger. CLICK HERE to learn more.
If you know someone who would benefit from this newsletter, please feel free to forward them this email. Let's help others start to feel better and get back to doing the things they love to do! To sign up for my newsletter, please click HERE.”