It’s been my experience, that sustainable, real, life-changing results are not achieved with quick fixes, fads, or hacks. They are forged through SMART DAILY HABITS…which is all about consistency and smart work.
Every single day is an opportunity for us to get better or worse…we NEVER stay the same. Now, this has nothing to do with how we feel on a given day…every day is different and we’re gonna feel differently because of it.
Seemingly small, simple (but NOT EASY) actions taken today and daily and every day thereafter, creates sustainable habits that add up like compounding interest.
Over the last 43 years, on my own personal health and fitness journey, I’ve used the “NEVER MISS A DAY” mentality. Moving mindfully and meaningfully every morning is non-negotiable for me.
This helps me structure my daily schedule and stay consistent with my training and ultimately my health. And it’s just automatic at this point…this is how my day begins NO MATTER WHAT.
I feel a great sense of responsibility to be at my “best” for my family and my Longevity family every day. So my morning “wake-up” is pivotal…because it gets me moving and grooving from the inside out.
Oh…and has it evolved over all these years? Absolutely! In my early years it was more of a “workout”… Over the last 20 years or I’ve adopted a more restorative vibe.
In all truth, it’s really the foundation of my lifestyle and it provides me with a massive ROI that is unrivaled…with the exception of sleep.
Make no mistake…this is NOT a workout!!! These low-intensity moves encourage blood flow, stress reduction, and musculoskeletal recovery.
Use it as a “stand-alone” session to just feel better on your “not so great” days, when you’re “just not feeling it” or as a prep for your activities of choice. But the main thing is USE IT!!!
Here’s what you’re gonna need: -Comfortable/Clear space -Maybe a mat -Cushion/Pillow/Beach
PHASE 1 WAKE-UP
Find a “formal breathing” position, sitting comfortably on the ground or chair.
Perform 5 -10 breaths of the LONGEST and SLOWEST NASAL INHALATIONS you can.
PAUSE SLIGHTLY when you reach your limit.
Then NASAL EXHALE by just allowing the air to escape naturally.
Now check this out:
10 breaths NOSTRIL PULLING (LEFT photo)
10 breaths ALTERNATE NOSTRIL BREATHING (RIGHT photo)
- Use your RIGHT hand (thumb and index finger)
- 5 breaths INHALE LEFT NOSTRIL/EXHALE RIGHT NOSTRIL
- 5 breaths INHALE RIGHT NOSTRIL/EXHALE LEFT NOSTRIL
2) PRACTICE INHALING - Find the MOST COMFORTABLE position based on your “body type”:
- 🤸♂️ Loosey-Goosey: LEFT KNEE a bit forward
- 🏋️ Super Stiff: RIGHT KNEE a bit forward
- NASAL ONLY breathing! (Tongue against the palate. MOUTH CLOSED!)
- LONG EXAGGERATED SILENT INHALE (NO NECK!) Then normal exhale out.
- Pause (Breath normally). Wait for the next inhale to come. Repeat.
- 8-12 breaths
3) PELVIC/RIB CAGE/SHOULDER ROLLS
✔️ Maybe something for your head/neck
✔️ BEST LAZY SELF. MOVE EFFORTLESSLY!
✔️ Just “let go” before each section. FULL MOUTH EXHALE to deflate.
✔️ NASAL ONLY breathing during the movements. 😴 You can close your eyes if you want:)
🤸♂️ Lay on your LEFT side
🏋️ Lay on your RIGHT side
- Here’s what you’re gonna do: Start bottom up. Each section (3), spend approximately 2-3 min. Should feel like you’re doing NOTHING:) I know 🤔
1) Pelvis/Hips: Start with your TOP LEG bone. “Slide” it in/out your back TOP pocket. Should feel a SUBTLE stretch in your back TOP pocket.
💥 Should feel NOTHING in low back! NOT rolling!
2) Rib cage: TOP thumb on sternum. Grasp LOWER SIDE rib cage.
- Slowly/Easily roll your rib cage BACKWARDS.
💥 Should feel NOTHING in low back or base/top side neck area!
- Reach TOP ARM the same length as BOTTOM ARM.
- Palms together and touching.
- Slide TOP ARM bone in/out of “back pocket” behind your shoulder. Should feel a SUBTLE stretch in TOP shoulder blade area.
PRACTICE this sequence EVERY morning, NO MATTER WHAT! You’re gonna be BETTER for it!
Dedicated to your health and longevity, Mike
P.S. Curious and want to see if my training style is a good fit for you? Email me for a Complimentary Assessment & 1 Free Orientation Session. No gimmicks, no pressure, just a discussion about you! I want to help you move better and feel stronger. CLICK HERE to learn more.
If you know someone who would benefit from this newsletter, please feel free to forward them this email. Let's help others start to feel better and get back to doing the things they love to do! To sign up for my newsletter, please click HERE.